Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Big Ideas


I have had all kinds of ideas in my lifetime, and they come in different forms at different times. Sometimes through discussions with friends, an idea suddenly pops up. Other times I wake up in the middle of the night with an idea (which often doesn't seem nearly as brilliant once I'm fully coherent). But this time, I was driving up Cotner Blvd., and it hit me.... the great idea!

Now, the idea itself is irrelevant. The question that drove me to my blog today is "What makes an idea a big one?" I know a lot of people who are looking for that "million dollar idea." To them, maybe a big idea is one that makes them a lot of money. And some of them are really great people, so I don't think that the love of money is necessarily driving them. Sometimes it's just a desire for life to be a little easier. (And if you've ever watched "It's a Wonderful Life", Jimmy Stewart himself pointed out to Clarence that money sure comes in handy down here.)

Other people may be living in the middle of the devastation that disease and sickness can bring. To them, a big idea would certainly be a cure. And who could argue with that. We have watched some of our closest friends live day in and day out with MS, and life is just harder for them. I think by far my greatest dream is to see them totally healed. I really don't know if it will happen on this side of heaven or the other. But I do know that it will happen and when it does, life will be good for them for all eternity. (AND there will be a whole lot of celebrating going on....we're talking 20, maybe 30 thousand years before we even BEGIN to slow down!)

But as I was driving down Cotner Blvd, I had what I truly believe was a God-inspired idea. In the whole grand scheme of things, it probably wouldn't seem that magnificent to others, but to me it's huge. And I think the reason for that is that it's from God.

If you give even a cup of cold water to one of the least of my followers, you will surely be rewarded. Matthew 10:42

Give a cup of cold water? That seems pretty insignificant. Well, maybe it is and maybe it isn't. It depends on how long that person has been without water. God knows when a cup of cold water will save a life. Or maybe bring new hope.... or reveal His love when it's needed the most.

The thing about God-inspired ideas is they don't have to be magnificent for God to be able to get magnificent results. And even though the part you play may be small, simple obedience to what He has put in your heart can yield HUGE results. What God has put in my heart (and, no, I'm not going to tell you what it is!) literally causes me to be so excited on the inside that I feel like dancing around the room! He has filled my heart and mind with excitement over what HE can do! And I just want to be a part of it! I want to play whatever part He has for me, however big or small it may be.

So, we consider the big ideas to be the ones that will make life better. I think that may be stopping short.

THE BIG IDEAS ARE THE GOD-INSPIRED IDEAS!

From a human perspective they may seem big, or they may seem very small. But if they are HIS ideas, you can bet He will do big things as you are simply obedient! He has the benefit of having ALL the information. Add to that His love, His power, His compassion, His wisdom and the fact that He ALWAYS makes life better, and His ideas are the big ideas that yield RESULTS!

What can He do with a simple cup of water? What can He do with you?

No comments: