Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Friend Like Jack


I could learn a lot from my dog.

Jack is totally content with his life. It doesn't take much to please him. All he wants is to have his basic needs met . . . food, water, shelter. Throw some affection on top of that, and he is one happy boy. All of his relationships are intact at all times . . . you would be hard-pressed to find a more accepting, forgiving, and loyal friend. And he never, ever holds a grudge. Why would he? If he did, it would cut into his happy-time.

It's so simple. We all know it is. We know how content we could be if we were quick to forgive. Or better yet, if we didn't allow things to bother us in the first place. We understand that all people are different and we all have different quirks, problems, personality defects. We know we need to make allowances for those differences. And we know how well life goes if we just live life accepting others for who they are.

So what is it that trips us up? Can we just make a decision to accept people and not let the things they say and do bother us? Or is that beyond our control?

I would like to suggest that it is NOT beyond our control. And much to my own chagrin, I would further suggest that the thing that drives us to the ill feelings we have toward others is nothing more than the age-old problem of self. Now, I'm not saying that everyone is doing and saying the things they should. I'm not even saying they aren't in the wrong. Obviously when we see others putting themselves first, manipulating others to get what they want, etc., etc. that is WRONG.

What I AM saying is that just because others do and say the wrong things doesn't mean we have to be upset with them. The Bible is very clear that we are to deal with others in love. I certainly don't think that means we have to ignore what is going on. I just think God has given us the ability to deal with situations without getting bitter or resentful toward anyone.

I've been thinking a lot lately about "building the church". We've been taught that the church is people, so it would stand to reason that building the church is building people. And since I've had this little revelation, I have been disappointed to see how often I tear the church down. One of the things I let bother me more than anything else is when I see Christian people putting themselves before others, whether it's rushing to the most comfortable chair, trying to get to the front of the line, or even setting the best aside for themselves before others arrive. It annoys me to no end. Or, I should say I LET it annoy me to no end.

Now, am I saying it's okay for Christian people to put themselves before others? NO!!! I'm just saying the way I have handled it in the past is every bit as bad. How many times did my grandma tell me growing up that two wrongs don't make a right?

In the past, when I've observed these things, I have handled it poorly. I have gotten angry with the people and avoided them, I have made cynical/sarcastic remarks to them, I have even complained about them to others. Brick by brick, I've torn the church down. And worst of all, I've excused myself for it. I can't help it... it makes me so angry. It's just not right and I can't act like everything is okay when it's not. You know the excuses. I've used them all.

I think there are other things I could have done. However uncomfortable it may be, I could go to the person and talk to them about what I see, all the while continuing to love them and value our friendship. I can be aware at all times that just because I don't struggle with THAT particular thing, there are lots of things I DO struggle with. I don't want people to write me off just because there are things I struggle with, so why would I do it to them.

So, I guess my point is no matter what people do or say, we can love and accept them "as is". (A term Leonard coined in our small group.) If we know we are loving them and accepting them, it frees us up to deal with the things that come up in a loving way. It helps us to BUILD the church instead of tearing it down. We all play different roles in the church; we are many parts of the body. If we use that correctly, our strengths will help others in their weaknesses, and their strengths will help us in return. We are strong and weak in different areas because we are MEANT to need each other. We were created that way.

So the next time someone does something that would normally bother me. . . I want to stop myself before it goes any farther. I want to ask God to show me how I can help. How can I use my strengths to help others in their weaknesses? How can I best build the church? And on the other side of the coin, I ask that God help me to absorb all the strength that others have to offer me so I can grow in my weaknesses.

Everyone using their strengths to help others in their weakness . . . everyone accepting others strengths to help them in their own weaknesses . . . sounds like the makings of a very powerful body of Christ to me.

No comments: