Wednesday, September 19, 2007

FAITH OF A HORSE

Jet Doc Olena Cash (Doc)
Over the past few months I've had the opportunity to renew an old childhood passion of mine ... horseback riding. My very first memory of testing God was when I had heard in a church service that God answers prayer, and proceeded that night to ask (beg) Him for a horse. I was pretty sure I had done a thorough job of begging (years of practice), and fully expected to somehow be presented with a horse the following day. If I got that horse, then I would know that God was real. It was a win/win situation for Him and I.

Well, you can guess how that turned out. Next day, no horse. (Fortunately I figured out that God was real anyway... but it did take a little longer to believe He actually cared....how does a child become so skeptical?) I had to learn to be content with riding other people's horses, and I did that at every available opportunity.

Then, last February... it was like a dream come true! No, I still didn't get a horse. But the next best thing happened. Jerry Franck got 3 horses and he lets me ride them, groom them, feed them whenever I want! I love those horses...Thunder, Doc, and Missy. They each have their own personalities and they are the most beautiful horses I have ever seen! However, riding them has proven to be a bit of a challenge.

They have not been ridden much in the past few years, and since they've been at Jerry's they spend most of their days grazing and doing whatever they please. So when it comes time to be ridden, they show a bit of their stubborn side. I still ride them, mind you, but it is a struggle. They keep wanting to stop, then they refuse to go again. I have to work and work and work to get them to focus and eventually (albeit reluctantly) they do what they are supposed to (at least for awhile). So, in an effort to be a better leader, I decided to take horseback riding lessons. I go out to Janel's Training Center near Denton, and she is just the most amazing teacher! I LOVE MY HORSEBACK RIDING LESSONS! She has taught me how to do things the RIGHT way, and I can apply what I've learned to dealing with Doc, Thunder, and Missy.

As I was riding Janel's horses (who have been extremely well trained) I learned to just barely cue them, and they would respond. Just like that. A little nudge from my heel, or a little pressure on the reins, and they would just respond! They did what they were supposed to do! And it made horseback riding so much fun!!! They never refused to go forward... they didn't fight me at all.

And it got me to thinking later... is that how God feels with me? I thought about when I was riding Doc. I love that horse... actually, I ADORE him! But it was so much work to get him to go down the path I wanted him to go. Janel's horse, Angela, did whatever I asked of her... and it made riding so much more fun. How amazing will it be once Doc is trained well enough that he does exactly what he's supposed to!!!

And, however strange it sounds, it got me to thinking, "What kind of horse do I want to be?" I know God loves me even more than I love Doc. But I don't want our relationship to be a lot of work for Him. I want to be someone who responds at the slightest nudging. I want our relationship to be FUN for Him! I know He'll love me either way, but how much more exciting will our relationship be if He isn't always having to tell me over and over again, "No, Tracy... this way...no, you're not getting it Tracy... this way...over here Tracy!" His patience is endless, and I know no matter how many times I blow it, He'll see me through to the end.

But, God... help me. Help me to hear your voice and to understand what you want of me. Help me to be quick to respond and eager to please. I want our relationship to be EASY for you. I want to be a daughter who you know will respond to your slightest nudging. Help me to know you that well. Reveal yourself to me in a way that I can understand... and help me to have the heart to respond.

And while You're at it... could you help Doc?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.