Monday, January 7, 2008

An Amazing Night


Who out there has a short-list of perfect nights that make you smile whenever you think of them? Thanks to our girls, Leonard and I had one of those nights Friday night.

For Christmas, Jenelle and Rachel decided to get us a very special gift. They bought us gift certificates to Dino's (great pizza, great fish!) and to the Grand Theatre. But that was just the beginning. We decided to use the certificates Friday night, so we got off work at 3:00. The girls had made a comfy spot for Leonard to kick back and relax with a book, while they led me up to a luxurious bubble bath complete with an end table holding reading material and a glass of wine (actually diet pepsi). After soaking in my bath, I put on the clothes they laid out for me (yes, they even chose what we were going to wear!) and Jenelle did my make-up and hair, while Rachel massaged my shoulders, arms, and hands. It was a little taste of heaven on earth!

Once Leonard and I were both ready, we headed off to our movie in Jenelle's car. We saw the second National Treasure movie which we both thoroughly enjoyed, then we drove off to Dino's! There's nothing we don't like about Dino's. It's a casual atmosphere, we love their food, and they make FANTASTIC tequila sunrises! We spent the whole evening talking and laughing with absolutely no interruptions. It had been too long since we'd done that.

When it was time to go, I told Leonard I wanted to give our waiter a surprise BIG tip! Since we had a gift certificate it wasn't costing us, and since I felt so incredibly BLESSED I wanted to pass it on! Rachel is a waitress and I know how exciting it is for her to have someone leave a generous tip. After doing his best George Banks imitation (you know... pulling at the collar, coughing, etc.) he agreed to leave a generous surprise. It was the perfect ending to a perfect night.

And I guess I would leave you with this...
There are so many things in this world that try to draw our attention away from what's really important. Our lives are full of deadlines and demands, and we often spend a lot of energy trying to be everything we're supposed to be. I'm not saying this will ever really change, but I am suggesting that you exert your authority over it once in awhile. Take the initiative to stop the madness and enjoy life. Make time for the laughter and all the relationships that mean so much to you.

Even if it's just for one amazing night!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hmmmm.... you DO have AMAZING girls! ;)