Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions. Actually, it's more like I don't believe in SAYING I believe in New Year's Resolutions . . . and it's usually right before I make one.

In reality, this time of year I tend to become extremely reflective. I think about the past year and everything that's happened, good and bad. I mean . . . I KNOW there were some bad things. But it seems like when it gets to the end of the year, I can only remember the good. A new son-in-law, a new grandson, a new college destination, a trip to Galveston, even the girls' new apartment I lamented about last February turned out to be a wonderful adventure. We had a good year. But this is where I shift effortlessly from reflecting to envisioning.

I have so many hopes for the new year! Of course, I'm a dreamer by nature. I can imagine so many amazing things happening to Jenelle while she's away at school. I can picture the joy and laughter in Rachel and Aaron's home as the kids begin to grow and continue to develop those little personalities. And I know this year's vacation will not disappoint! (See past blogs attesting to how much our family LOVES vacation!) Although we won't be able to go far (college expenses compounded with wedding expenses) we will go where we can and we'll love it. And I'm dreaming even now about what fun we'll have on the journey as well as the destination.

Of course, there are things I want to change. Areas I hope Leonard and I can grow in. But I don't think those are my New Year's Resolutions. This year, my resolution is simply to live life more slowly.



Enjoy the moment.




Breathe in contentment and slowly exhale a deep appreciation for life as it is today. Right here and right now. Don't miss a moment. And don't ever be ungrateful.



Life has its ups and downs. But what a life we've been given. As I look back at the relationships we've gained through the years, I realize that we are the people we are today because of the impact our friends and family have had on us. We are so incredibly blessed by the relationships we've been given.

And this next year -- the year 2009 --

This is the year we bask in it.

No comments: