Saturday, December 13, 2008

Prosperity

Last Wednesday night in Small Group, we discussed prosperity. It seems, in America anyway, when hearing the word prosperity most people's minds go directly to money and possessions. Even if you know better, often a mind can involuntarily go there before you rein it in and focus on the things you know truly make you prosperous.

Now let me just say I'm all for having money. I see no need to take a vow of poverty (although at some points in life it would appear I fully supported it.) Financial struggles are trying to say the least. I've never felt the need to have more than enough, but enough is really nice. That being said, I also know God has used some of the most trying times of my life to teach me and build me in the areas I needed it the most. While I don't prefer it, I can see the benefit that has come in not always having things be easy.

I really enjoyed the things I heard on Wednesday night, and thought I would share a couple of high points. One came from a young mother who is pregnant with her second child. Their family is going through the biggest financial struggle of their lives, but as you listened to her talk you found that she considers it instead to be the most precious time of her life. She and her husband both spoke of learning about faith in God, and the value of relationships both with him and within their family. Although they are as poor (monetarily) as they have ever been, they have never felt richer. And the truth of the matter is, they ARE rich. It all sounds so cliche, but if you could have the joy of hearing them speak, you would know they truly KNOW where their treasure is. They considered themselves to be prosperous, and they were visibly grateful.

Another man spoke of the struggles he has been through and his realization that he needed to stop everything else and really focus in on his relationship with God. He had forgotten that God would take care of all the details of life if he first focused on Him. He had such a desire to throw himself back into that relationship. And although there were times in his life where he really believed prosperity was achieving status and money, he was at a place where he realized his prosperity... the only prosperity he wanted... would come in his relationship with God.

Prosperity is so much bigger than money and stuff. I'm not saying we will ever quit wanting stuff. And I'm not even saying it's wrong to want stuff. I'm just saying perspective is everything. Want the stuff. Buy the stuff. But be aware it will never make you prosperous. True prosperity comes in your relationship with God, your relationships with family and friends, and the love in your heart that enables you to give the best of yourself freely to others.

My prayer this Christmas season is for all of us to experience a prosperity that surpasses anything we've even come close to approaching in the past.

And then to pass it on.

No comments: