Friday, December 11, 2009

Is there something wrong with me?

The other day I got to thinking about the things that cause us to struggle in life. I thought about the things that cause angst in my own life, as well as different things I knew were weighing heavily on friends and family. Now, I hate making blanket statements because every situation is different. I will just say that for all the things I was thinking about, the root cause of each of the ongoing struggles could be traced back to what we allowed ourselves to believe.

Could it be that often times the only reason we continue to struggle is because of what we're allowing ourselves to believe? Let me give an example. I have struggled my whole life with this underlying feeling that there is something wrong with me. It doesn't matter how many successes I have, how many friends I have, how much encouragement I receive. I just feel like my personality is flawed and I find myself wishing I could be quieter, more passive, more loving, less outspoken, less overbearing. You know... that Proverbs woman that has eluded me all of my life. In my head I understand we're all different, and all our personalities work together to accomplish God's purposes. But in all honesty, I believe that more for you than I do for me.

I saw the movie "Blind Side" last week with Leonard. THAT IS MY NEW ALL-TIME-FAVORITE MOVIE! Sandra Bullock's character had a lot of the personality traits I've spent a lifetime wishing I didn't have. But it worked for her. She was able to be totally overbearing, yet still have a heart that was overflowing with love and mercy. I can't tell you how many times through the movie Leonard told me her character reminded him of me. (One example... her husband told the kids as she was outside talking to Big Mike, "I know that look. Your mother's about to get her way.") (yeah, that's me)

That movie was so good for me. It gave me hope that it's okay to be who I am. And I think it also got me to thinking that I've struggled with something for a lot of years (decades) simply because of what I've allowed myself to believe. Will I be able to change what I believe? Probably not right away. But I have a clearer picture of what I'm fighting against. When those old feelings arise, I will try to identify what it is I'm believing that's causing those feelings, and replace it with truth. What truth have I discovered?

1. It's okay to have areas of my personality that need refining. It's all part of the growth process.

2. I don't stand alone .... chances are there's something wrong with most of you, too. :o)

3. In the midst of the things that may be wrong with us, there are lots of things that are good and right and wonderful about us.

4. We can rest in the fact that there is not now nor will there ever be anything wrong with God.

What are you struggling with? What is it you're believing?

2 comments:

leonard said...

After reading this I feel I must comment.Yes,I did mention Sandra Bullocks character reminded me of Tracy, BUT not just in the context Tracy mentioned.Mostly I was talking about the VERY loving and generous heart she has. This is not news to those who know her.Many times she has said "We should do this or that for someone"
and all I can think is "Is there no end to what we can do for those people". This is not news to people who know me!
Leonard

Tracy said...

Leonard ...always the comedian.

You are right. You did say those things to me. And you have always been the one who looks at me and only sees the good stuff. You are God's greatest gift to me.

But I must add... people DO know you. And they know that "Is there no end to what we can do for these people" is the attitude you would have them BELIEVE that you have! But I've seen what you do for others. You can't fool me, tough guy.