Monday, September 22, 2008

Everything will be okay

I remember when I was a little girl, there were many times my insecurities would get the best of me. Of course, being so young, I really didn't know they were insecurities. All I knew was I'd get this horrible, almost "homesick" kind of feeling and I just needed to be near my Grandma. It could happen when I was with my friends, or even when I was sitting in my own house with Grandma in the next room. Suddenly I'd feel alone and afraid and I had to go find my Grandma.

It was amazing how Grandma could fix everything. Often times I'd just climb up into the brown recliner with her and sit quietly beside her. She didn't have to say or do anything. She just had to be near, and I knew everything would be okay.

Grandma was my first glimpse of God. She died quite a long time ago, but just the thought of her still warms my heart. It was her love that first caused my heart to come to life. It was her love that challenged me to search for more... to believe there were better things than what I had seen. It was her love that opened my eyes to the fact that security existed.

Today there are many issues that come and go in my life. It's one obstacle after another intertwined with one joy after another. I have grown enough that I am usually pretty confident that one way or another things will always work out. But every now and then I catch myself becoming anxious and even a little afraid. And as the old insecurities threaten to surface once again, I know exactly where to go. It's right where my Grandma's love pointed me from the beginning. I sit quietly near God.

And as I sit near Him . . . even if nothing is being said or done . . . I just know everything will be okay.

2 comments:

Serenity said...

This is beautiful. I pray I can be this for my kids.

Amy said...

Tracy - such a lovely post. I, too pray I can be this for my kids. It's my fear that I'm failing terribly. I've never been pegged a "calm soul", quite the opposite. I just need to marry the two - face of God that everything will be okay and the marked craziness that seems to follow me.