Friday, August 1, 2008

Time to move on...

This is one of those days. We've been involved in Vacation Bible School all week long, and although it's fun to see so many kids having such a good time, it's quite a relief when it's over. Maybe better people than me are sad to see it end, but I'm telling you... these long-term projects are the death of me.

Isn't Vacation Bible School only a week you ask? Why, yes, it is . . . but in my world it may as well be a lifetime. You see, I'm the type of person who likes to swoop in, plan an exciting one-night event, and move on to the next project (see all previous blogs about getting into a rut). It's not that I mind helping with this kind of stuff. I think it's good for me. I think we should all be a part of things that aren't easy for us now and then . . . it seems to build character. If nothing else, it helps you die to self a little bit. Do we really want to be the kind of people who only help if it's enjoyable to us? If that were the case, I don't think anyone would EVER get any help on moving day.

But although I think it's good for me to help with projects that are more trying for me, I have to be honest and say I'm always glad when they're over. Partially because, well, it's over. And partially because I feel like I've achieved a little victory in my life. It's easy to take off running with my own vision. It's a real achievement to be able to help run with someone else's.

I'm a strong believer in celebrating victory, so Leonard and I have big plans to celebrate tomorrow night. At the top of the list? I think we'll be heading out to Jerry's.... in the country...

... where it's very, very quiet.

No comments: