Thursday, August 7, 2008

Good Things are Happening All Around Us...

I think it's time we give the good things in life their due. I don't know why the bad things seem to get top billing all the time, but I'm dedicating this blog entry to the power of good!

Think about it. We can have 20 great things in a row happen to us, but often all it takes is one bad thing to cause it all to come caving in around us. I'm not sure why the bad things have such power over us... they certainly don't deserve it. Most (I would say ALL) of us would be hard-pressed to find a pen with enough ink to write down all the amazingly good things we have in our lives. And yet something bad happens, and it can throw us right into "a mood".

We generally don't give the good things that kind of power. If we're in that aforementioned "mood" and something really good happens, we often aren't even able to enjoy it. After all, we're in that "mood". It takes something pretty darned amazing to catapult us out of a bad mood to a place where we can dance on top of the world. But it can take just one plan falling apart to throw us into worry or despair. I'm guessing that's why the Bible often encourages us to think about good things, to remember what God has done, etc. If you're not already in the habit of dwelling on those kinds of things, the bad stuff can hit you pretty hard.

So there it is. That's what I want to do. I want to spend a significant amount of time thinking about all the good things in my life. I want my thoughts to dwell there. I want to let the good have the power it deserves.

After all, it's the light that is supposed to dispel the darkness... not the other way around.

No comments: