Wednesday, July 30, 2008

That Internal Garden of Eden

As you can probably tell, one of the issues I think about a lot is, "What are we really supposed to be giving our lives to?" How are we supposed to be using our time? How do we balance life? How do we make sure we're doing everything we have to do that only seems to have value in this world, and still be sure we're focusing on the things that are eternal? Maybe people only start thinking about this as they get older, but I really would like to be living life with the heart, the attitude, the focus, and even the enthusiasm that God intended. I'd really like to know I've touched every life I can possibly touch in the most positive way I possibly can. I do want to make a lot of money for my company... I want to do a good job, and I pray for God's creativity to do that. But I want my life to be so much more. And it seems to take so much energy just to try to do what I need to do for my company... where is that balance?

Today I was thinking about the beginning. I mean the very beginning. I was thinking about God creating Adam and Eve... before sin, before everything went south on us. What was the original purpose? What was His intent for life? And the only thing I can see is He intended for us to enjoy Him, enjoy each other, and enjoy what He created for us.

Has that original intent changed? You can read an awful lot in the Bible that tells you to be ready to suffer, to count it joy when you suffer, etc. Yet you still can see where it says the most important thing is to love God with all your heart and love each other.

Focus. That seems to be such an integral part of everything. The key to it all. It just keeps coming back to focus. I have seen people in situations where they are suffering and that's all they can see. They aren't really enjoying God, and they aren't enjoying others. They definitely aren't enjoying life. And, really, I often think who can blame them? I surely wouldn't want to be going through what they are going through. And yet others seem so happy in the midst of their suffering. I see what they're going through, but I don't see the same pain. And I find myself wanting to be more like them. They seem to be a whole lot more focused on their relationship with God and with others, and not so much on the suffering.

I remember Paul's words... I count it all joy. To be honest, when I've read that in the past, I've always had the underlying thought that he really meant he could put up with all the bad because he knew eventually (in heaven) things would be better. But what if he truly did feel JOY through it all? Is it possible to enjoy God and others so much that it overpowers all suffering? Is it possible to be so consumed by the joy of those relationships that everything else pales in comparison? Is it possible to do your job, and at the same time be overwhelmed with joy in your relationship with God and others? To the point that your job just becomes part of it???

I think it must be possible. And I think God has placed this intense desire in my heart to find that place.

Here's to the Garden of Eden.... I can feel it beginning to grow on the inside.

No comments: