Monday, July 7, 2008

And then vacation is over.


We just got back from vacation yesterday. Ten glorious days away . . .

. . . and I'm so glad to be home. You see, I LOVE our home. I love the fact that Lincoln, Nebraska is boring and that we don't have lots of tourists. I love our old, creaky house. And I especially love our comfy king-sized bed after sleeping on a pull-out couch for a week. It's just good to be home.

We did, however, have a wonderful time in Galveston. We spent time at the ocean every single day. Most everybody loved the boogie-boarding, but Ellie and I spent the majority of the time playing in the shallow water, collecting sea shells and dumping them out so we could collect them all over again. Quiet days spent playing with my granddaughter while watching Leonard and the kids playing in the water . . . my heart could hardly contain the contentment, the satisfaction, the feeling that life was just too good. I guess I always feel like we are blessed, but at times like these a little video screen goes off in my head and I remember ALL the reasons life is good, all the memories. The times we will treasure for all eternity. Some on vacation, some in our living room. Some happy, some very sad. But everything working together to bring us to the place we are today. All molding and shaping our character, increasing our compassion, developing our view of life.

It hasn't always been an easy journey. In fact, there have been some heart-wrenching times. But I can look back and I can say with all certainty, God was faithful to use it all for our good. He didn't waste a single tear. He helped us learn and grow and become closer to him. There are things I would never want to go through again, but today I am glad those things are a part of us.

Leonard and I walked along the beach with Jenelle as the sun was going down, the waves splashing at our feet as we talked about her future plans.
She isn't sure what the future holds. She's not quite sure what she should do. "I just want to do what God wants me to do."

We are so blessed.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Wendell and I just walked in the door from a vacation in your neck of the woods, and I heartily agree with your sentiments about both loving home and treasuring that little video camera in my mind. Omaha, Nebraska is not the vacation capital of the world, of course, and it boasts no beaches. But it does hold our daughter, her husband, and another grandchild to be born in November. That's my kind of place.

Tracy said...

I couldn't agree more! Being near family can make Omaha (OR EVEN LINCOLN) a great place to vacation! Congrats on the upcoming grandchild!