Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Grandma Moment

I never thought there would be anything in my life quite as amazing as when I gave birth to each of my girls. I couldn't believe that God blessed us with such beautiful little girls. I was amazed (and terrified) that they were really ours and that we were going to be responsible for them and get to pour our love out to them all at the same time. There was just nothing that could compare to being a mom.

I still feel that way, actually. Yet here is where my granddaughter, Ellie, enters the picture. She has opened up a whole new world to me! I get to pour all my love out and yet NOT be responsible for her upbringing. Could it get any better than this??? No wonder we all have such special relationships with our grandmas! Nothing but good can come from being at Grandma's house.

For some reason, Ellie is 19 months old now and is still not talking. We are not worried at all... she is a VERY bright little girl. Her mom speaks to her in English and her dad speaks to her in Spanish so I think she thinks it's just a free-for-all and we all get to make up our own languages! She understands both languages very well. She just hasn't found any need to start using them herself! (Why should she when she can get everything she wants just by pointing!) She does say a few things like "Mama, Papa, Night-Night" and a couple of Spanish words, but generally she sees no need for words.

So imagine the joy I felt when I held her little face in my hands and said, "Ellie, I love you" and she looked back into my eyes and said, "Ya yoo"

It doesn't get any better than this.

No comments: