Monday, February 25, 2008

Customer Care - Caring Required

It seems to me that good customer service is a thing of the past in many arenas, and it just BOTHERS me. I go to the local Walmart and ask where something is, and the sales associate just points to an area off in the distance. Then off I go to see if I can find it myself. And there are times I've needed to call a company's support line for help, only to find no one really wants to offer any help. They don't necessarily care if I'm a happy customer or not.

I just don't get it.

In my line of business (promotional sales), I take care of customers all day long. I can't understand why people would not want to go out of their way to make sure their clients are well taken care of. Even if they don't really like the company they work for (which fortunately I do) certainly they still want things to go as well as possible for the people they deal with!


Leonard and I were just talking about this today. We are actually AMAZED that we wound up in the sales profession. It's the LAST thing we would have thought we'd enjoy. You hear the word "sales" and immediately you think of a high-pressure car salesmen. Yuck. But without us ever having planned it, sales is where we wound up. And you know what? It is perfect for us. I don't know if we redefined it or if the world is redefining it, but for us sales is just taking care of the needs of others. Helping them find what they need to be the best that they can be. It's what we've learned to do all through our church life, and it's what we love.

A second area of our lives that we were surprised to find was such a good fit is evangelism. I used to cringe every time I heard the word. But when it gets right down to it, there's probably nothing we like more than to be able to go out and offer hope to people who need it (especially the kids on the reservation). God has shown His faithfulness to Leonard and I in such amazing ways. He brought us hope when there was no hope, and peace when there was nothing but turmoil. We love being able to share what we have with others and watch as God does amazing things in their lives. We've seen many times that when God enters the picture, everything changes . . . even if nothing changes at all.

So I guess what I've been thinking about is how similar the two things are. Sales and Evangelism. Both have been done a huge disservice in the past, with people somehow putting their own personal goals ahead of the needs of those they serve. But I think they are in the process of being fabulously redefined.

It makes me excited to be a part of both!

No comments: