Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Pushing Through

I know I've mentioned this before, but I'm on a mission to overcome my fears. Not to stop having fear, but to stop letting the fear control what I do. I find this fear shows up most in my workplace. As you know, I'm in sales. I love what I do... I love helping my clients find the perfect items to work with whatever event they're planning. I especially love finding gifts for employees to help them feel appreciated. I have good relationships with my clients and it's easy to work with them. That's right down my alley.

The part that is not so much down my alley is going out to find new clients. For some reason, that just causes fear to rise up inside of me (not good for a sales rep). I love to help people and I WANT to help in any way I can. But walking up and talking to people I don't know has ALWAYS frightened me. And here I am in a job where I need to learn to do just that.

I was praying about it awhile back, and I felt God showed me this is something I need to get a handle on. Not just for work, not just to make more sales... but so I'm able to do the things God has for me to do. There could be many reasons I wound up in a job like this. But I know for sure that he is using it to shape me. He is using it to teach me, refine me, and to cause me to grow.

And that is where the encouragement came in. I love when God encourages me. It carries a lot of weight, because He tends to be right about a lot of stuff. And what I feel I heard from God is that I can do this...even without the absence of fear. I can talk to people I don't know, whether I fear it or not. I can do it.

So this is my goal: To do what I know I need to do. And instead of trying to ease my fears, I'm going to walk out and do it right in the midst of my fears.

I may indeed have fear....but it can only control me if I let it.

9 comments:

Laura said...

I've been reading your blog and I really like this entree. I have the same problem many times, but in a different way. I am into photography and I always hate going up to people and asking them to take their picture. It is the most awkward and frightening thing ever. But think about this, when you are in a store and someone helps you find what you need you always feel some kind of a relief. and the worst thing that can happen is that they'll tell you that they don't need your help. And who knows, helping someone else could gain you another friend. Good luck at work!
-Laura

Tracy said...

That is actually a FANTASTIC way to look at it! Thanks for the encouraging comment!

~Nancy said...

So inspiring!!! I struggle with fear when my kids get sick. I need to remember your insightful words. Thank-you!!

Dotty said...

Being able to overcome fear and control it rather than it controlling you is an amazing thing one can teach themselves to do, I myself have just recently started to control my fears ... Good Luck (:

Tiff :o) said...

I just came across your blog as I was blog surfing. What you said reminds me of my motto as a young adult. I was a super shy teenager and never spoke at school, never tried new things becasue I was afraid of what people would think of me if I wasn't good. I finally said to myself "I will make fear sit idly by as I make choices without it." I wrote it down in my planner and looked at it everyday. I certainly am not at the level I would like to be. I'm still shy but I can talk to people now and I will try anything I want to no matter how good everyone else around me is at it. It has made all the difference in my happiness. If you just make the effort to push out of your comfort zone on a regular basis, you will be amazed at the difference. Good luck!

Tracy said...

Thanks! Very encouraging words!!!

Anonymous said...

I just dropped in and saw your post on fears. I can tell by the few posts I read that you are a Christian. I wanted to mention that I am just finishing a new book by Beth Moore, called "So long, Insecurity. You've been a bad friend." It is amazing. You would be amazed to see how fear is rooted in insecurity, or vice versa. She also has a running blog called the LPM blog and she is conversing with women about this book. Awesome journey! Just thought I'd share. God bless you!
Carol in Alabama

Rhonda said...

Wow what a wonderful blog, I wish we had more people in sales in our congregation. People who are able to go up to complete strangers and welcome them and help them connect and find what they need is one of the most important gifts you can have in a church. Especially for seekers who aren't even sure what they are looking for yet. A friendly face and welcoming "can I help you find your way" builds the glue in the family of God. I wish I had 10 of you!!! Think of your job as a training program for the Kingdom! Blessings on your head! I really enjoyed your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Tracy said...

Thanks, Rhonda! What a great perspective you have.