Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'll never, ever let you down

I went with a couple of friends to see "The Book of Eli" the other night. Wow... what a story. It was pretty slow moving in the beginning, but by the end of the movie the storyline was etched into my soul.

I wonder how I will respond if life as I know it drastically changes? I so admired Denzel's character and his unwavering devotion to God. That's what I envision for myself if the time ever comes. I will be the one who willingly steps into the fiery furnace. I will face the lions. I won't let anyone stop me from proclaiming my great love for God loudly and boldly. I will never back down. Yes, that's what I imagine in my head. And that's what I truly hope for.

But what goes on in my head is not necessarily what plays out in reality. (Trust me... if it were, I'd be a much better person than I am). Remember Peter? Who could have been more devoted to Jesus than him? But when the chips were down, he choked. Oh, it wasn't the end of the story for him. And it wouldn't be for me either. God is so willing to help us back up again... to give us the strength to try again.... to use every failure to build us up. He is a loving and merciful God. And for that I am so grateful.

But my prayer is that no matter what I face in the future, I will be able to stand steadfastly for God. I pray that my love for him wins out over any obstacle, any amount of suffering. I pray that what I feel for him in my heart will be the reality of my life.

And life as we know it doesn't have to change at all for this to be the deepest cry of my heart.

1 comment: