Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Make It So

I want to change the world today.

That may sound like a tall order, but I've found that it's not necessarily as difficult as we make it out to be. Through my life I've heard many amazing stories from people whose lives were changed by the small but kind acts of others. I think we underestimate the power of kindness.

One time I stopped at a gas station for gas and there were two thug-looking teenage boys ahead of me trying to get the attendant to let them leave to get money for their gas. The attendant wasn't treating them very well, and I felt bad for them. Apparently they had pumped their gas but didn't realize they had no money with them. They wound up calling someone and went to wait in the car for them to bring money. When it was my turn, I asked the attendant how much they owed. It was less than $20, so I told him to just add it on with my gas. Then as I was leaving, I stopped by the boys' car and told them they could go because I paid for their gas. There was a complete transformation that took place right before my eyes--they went from being tough thug-boys to the most appreciative and kind young men you would ever want to see. They offered to pay me back, but I told them it wasn't necessary and to just go and enjoy the rest of their day. They thanked me and thanked me and thanked me again.

I like to daydream about what God may have done in their lives that day. I like to hope they saw the love of Jesus, and that they realized something about how they want to live life. Sometimes all it takes is someone being kind to you when you think no one cares. I've experienced that in my own life. Maybe nothing has happened yet, but maybe someday they'll think back and realize it was a turning point. That's what I like to dream happened.

So today, I'm hoping for another opportunity. I don't know people's situations, but God does. And I'm hoping He brings an opportunity for me to show special kindness to someone who is really needing it. I'm hoping He will use me to shine light on a heart that feels dreary. My desire is to show His love to someone at the precise moment when they need it the most.

Is it weird that instead of hearing God's voice, I hear Captain Picard's from Star Trek: The Next Generation saying, "Make it so."

No comments: