Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Journey


I just got back from a sales conference in Minneapolis. Leonard and I both get to go now since we work together, so I had the time of my life! They feed us great food (ALL the time), have very inspiring meetings, and lots of time to talk to other reps and vendors so we can get rejuvenated. (In sales, as in life, it helps to have a positive outlook.) And through it all, we get to stay in a really nice Hilton hotel in downtown Minneapolis. There are few things in life I enjoy MORE than a nice hotel!

At this conference I actually won a free makeover! I got to spend Thursday afternoon with some other reps at a spa getting our hair cut and colored. They then did our make-up and gave us all new clothes. I got the most awesome looking boots to go with my outfit! Then they took us back and had us all walk down the runway to show off our new looks to the 400+ other people that attended! What fun! I felt like such a superstar!

During one of the general sessions, our VP of marketing (Rose) asked a question that has really stuck with me. She asked, "Does the person make the journey, or does the journey make the person?" Wow. In so many ways, my journey has formed the person that I am. It has taken many turns that I wasn't expecting, and I've grown and changed because of the things I've experienced.

But at the same time, a person always has control of how they're going to respond to the journey. Cinderella is one of my all-time favorite stories. All through her life, as ugly as it got, she kept a positive attitude. Even though the people who should have been loving and nurturing her were mean, even vicious, she was always kind, caring, and optimistic. She had every reason to be angry and bitter. But if she had chosen to respond bitterly, I don't think the prince ever would have been attracted to her. It could have robbed her of her happily-ever-after.

So, I guess I'd have to say the two things work together. What do you think?

Lord, help me embrace the journey and go forward in eager anticipation, no matter what the future holds!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh look how cute you are!!! What do you sell?

Tracy said...

Amy-
I sell promotional products to companies in order to help them build their brand identities/promote their businesses. We do all kinds of things... shirts, jackets, cooler bags, flash drives, mugs, etc. etc. You get the idea!
I really love it. It's so much fun helping people choose products that are a good fit for them!