Friday, December 14, 2007

Friends

Something about this time of year just makes me sentimental. And one of the things I think about a lot are our friends. I love watching It's a Wonderful Life every year. I cry every time I watch it, and it's because of the look on George Bailey's (Jimmy Stewart's) face as he realizes how many people really love him. He realizes how rich he is because of the love of his friends. I can totally relate to that feeling.

Leonard and I feel incredibly rich, and it certainly has nothing to do with money. We have so many people who have deeply touched us with their friendship. Kenneth & Miriam are the kind of friends that just spur us on to greatness. It doesn't matter what we endeavor to do, they ALWAYS have encouraging insight of what God can do in the situation and they ALWAYS believe in us. They know that God is with us, and they believe we will succeed. It doesn't matter what it is. And I know if we were in George Bailey's predicament, Kenneth & Miriam would be at the front of the line, offering whatever they could to help. We treasure their friendship and their love.

Phil and Terri, Brian and Joyce, Jerry and Rebekah, Dave and Karolynn, Dusty and Michelle, Jim, Jean, Doug, and Jodie . . . the list goes on and on. We have so many friends that have made such a difference in our lives. And we treasure each one of them for the years of friendship and for the memories we have with them.

Paul Thompson is getting very close to the time when he will be going home. And by home I mean his real home . . . the really great one. He will get to find out what Jesus really meant by "I go to prepare a place for you". He'll get to see it with his own eyes and experience everything we've all just dreamed about. It makes me very excited for him. But it just doesn't make me any less sad.

When I think of Paul and Marjorie Thompson, my heart immediately warms. They are parents to the whole church. They love and encourage everyone. They have always shown Leonard and I how much they really, truly care for us, and we have never doubted their love. I remember all the times I teased Paul about being thrown in the brig when he was in the service, and I remember all the times he gave me a hard time for not playing my trumpet anymore! I remember him handing tootsie rolls out to all the kids . . . and I remember how he let me be a kid, too, at those times! I remember his stories (in fact I've memorized some of them!) but I remember more the smile on his face as he told them. I remember his laugh. I remember his love. Paul was a friend to everyone, whether he knew them or not. He was the kind of friend Jesus has encouraged us all to be. And today, in doing a sort of tribute to friendship, I want to dedicate this page to Paul.

Here's to Paul Thompson . . . the richest man in town.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.