Thursday, April 29, 2010

Why do we assume the worst?

My husband and I were talking last night about how it says in the Bible we will all stand before God and give an account of our lives. Did you just feel your heart sink? It's amazing to me that our first inclination is usually to think the worst. Do we picture ourselves standing before God as he gives us example after example of how we fell short or failed? Do we expect him to focus on all the footage that shows each moment we watched tv instead of reading our Bible? Often times, that's how we are treated in the workplace, or in life for that matter. Constantly being reminded of how we fall short, how much we need to improve. So naturally, that must be how God is going to judge us, right?

I got a much different picture of it this morning.

As I was sitting on the picnic table in the back yard, I pictured myself sitting with God. It wasn't actually in heaven...it was right there at the picnic table, sort of a "mid-term" review. As he talked to me, my heart just warmed. He reminded me of good things I had done for people and said, "Remember when you did that? You did that for me." He showed me kindnesses I had shown others that touched his heart. And he showed me times when I put aside what I wanted to help someone else. I really got a sense for how much all that meant to him, and I was bursting with joy at having pleased him.

Oh, there were areas I could improve in. But the way he showed them to me was so encouraging. It was like, "And life can get even better!" By the time we were done I was ready to LEAP off that picnic table and find more ways to show his love. It was an incredible encounter.

I don't know why for all these years I have dreaded "the account". Sure, there will be lots of ways I fall short. But he already knows that. He knows I'm human. He knows how much I need him. But like any parent, I think he'll be overjoyed with the ways we tried to please him, the times we tried to reach out toward him, and the times we showed his love to others.

Is it so hard to believe he'll be proud of us?

13 comments:

Lady London said...

Wow...I love this entry. It speaks volumes.

Caleb & Sol (www.calebandsol.com) said...

Yes! What a good outlook to have on judgment. We have Jesus as our righteousness, and will experience no condemnation (Romans 8:1).

Thanks,

Sol

Unknown said...

in cyberworld, hidden amongst the political diatribe, vulgar dribbles, exists your blog: an oasis of calm and hope. thank you

A said...

You should always stay positive. :)


www.studenthandouts.com

Laina said...

I love your blog! I stumbled upon it by clicking "next post" at the top of the blogger page. I will continue to check back for new updates and posts!
http://reflectionsofanavywife.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Good blogging my friend!

Julie Smith said...

I agree! God loves us more than we love our own kids.

Colonal Jesip said...

It seems like everywhere we look these days we are pounded with negativity from every angle. It gets to me sometimes. Thanks for posting this. It was quite uplifting.

Tava Tea said...

This is the first time i have ever read your blog but I'm glad you are feeling free.
I hope you stay free and remember that life is what you make it <3

FINDINGME said...

THIS IS SO AWESOME.....WHY ARE WE SO SURPRISED THAT GOD......WOULD INTERACT WITH US ACCORDING TO OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. HE IS AMAZING, WHAT HE HAS DONE IS AMAZING. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALLOWING GOD TO USE YOU. I WILL CONTINUE TO CHECK BACK.

Rhonda said...

Oh for the grace of God. If only we could remember His grace towards us when we deal with others too. Wonderful blog Tracy. It helps to be reminded of how how vast his love extends; that he could forgive even a sinner like me.

maybe said...

like ur writing style..it's the real deal. just keep on writing...

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post. It made me smile and gave me more hope than ever.Great blogging