Monday, August 3, 2009

Another handsome boy

After spending a considerable amount of time in the back yard on my week off, I started noticing something. Our big, beautiful dog Kairo was becoming even bigger and more beautiful. People have told us he is a magnificent beast, and I knew he was a nice looking dog... but after some quality time with him that week I just thought, "Wow, look at you!" We have a chocolate lab, Jack, who follows me everywhere I go, so I notice what's going on with him a lot more. But Kairo... Kairo likes to stay outside. He likes to guard the house and chase the dangerous predators (squirrels, birds) out of the yard. We live across from a park, so he plants himself by the front of our fence and keeps guard all the night long to be sure no one is where they shouldn't be. (Our neighbors love him. They say he keeps the neighborhood safe.)

Then come morning, he comes inside so we can shower attention on him (totally on his terms) and cuddles up with us on the bed for awhile. But as soon as we get out of bed, he heads back outside.

We've been talking a lot about taking the time to appreciate what we have. So last night I looked into Kairo's big eyes and told him how much I appreciate how he watches over us. He looked at me for a few seconds, then turned his head to continue his watch.
After all, he's a magnificent beast. And he knows it.

No comments: