Saturday, May 17, 2008

Her Name is Ruth

God works in amazing ways.

I was flying back from Minneapolis yesterday, and I wound up sitting next to a woman named Ruth from Trinidad. I had a really good time talking with her, but more importantly I found out that there were some areas in her life where she really needed prayer. In the end, I wound up assuring her that Leonard and I would most definitely pray for her every day, and it made me wonder if this was one of those things that Christians like to call "divine appointments".

I guess I do believe in coincidence. But I also believe very strongly that there are times God arranges things to happen in a certain way for a certain purpose. I wondered after meeting Ruth if God designed this meeting because her situation is such that she needed to meet people who really would pray on her behalf. And I wondered how many more people like me He may have put in her path. I wondered at the same time if the things that she shared with me were things that I needed to hear. Things that will help me on my journey.

I really do believe in that stuff.

I know of Christians who believe God wants to control every detail of our lives. I have seriously met people who even pray about what they should wear every morning. Now, I have no doubts as to God's ability to put together an impressive ensemble . . . but if there's a time when He really cares whether I wear a blue shirt or a red shirt He's going to have to really get my attention. Otherwise I'll probably just assume it's not that big of deal.

But this is different. Ruth's first winter in Nebraska was 1997. (Can you say ice storm?) Is there any doubt that anyone who stays in Nebraska after that must definitely have a purpose here? She wants to eventually go back to Trinidad, but she feels there are things she needs to accomplish here in the U.S. first. She did have some health issues, and she also needs prayer that God will guide her path career-wise (it's a critical time). I don't know for sure what it is God wants to do in this woman's life, but if there are any people out there who would be willing to pray for Ruth, I know she would be grateful.

And then you can wonder if it was by God's divine appointment that you chose to read this blog today. :o)

No comments: